I made the Quilted Beads(page 63) with leftover clay and it was easier than I thought. I made the face cane (page 55). Ha Ha! That one is harder than I thought. The instructions in the book were minimal. She said to start with the eyes. That's it! I winged it and it shows.
I tried some spliced canes (page 52). They turned out nice but again the instructions are minimal. The photo was good to follow but only if you know how to get there. The chevron loaf (page 50) I did not get. I probably did not cut enough of a diagonal when I sliced. the instructions were OK. Shaded canes (page 51) turned out well even with a rocky start on the color. Plaid canes (page 51) was OK. The instructions were fine but I must remember that a cane must be the same from beginning to end or the pattern changes throughout. So the Doll's head (page 140) is the only I didn't do. The book has to go back. I'm so lucky to have such a great librarian.
It is now May 2011 and I have reordered the book to try again to do the projects. Stay tuned for part 4 of this review.