Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Getting ready to extrude!

Our next monthly challenge for the pcagoe is called "Extruded". For those who don't know what that means, basically it's using a tool called an extruder to create something using polymer clay. The applications for the extruded clay defies all imagination and new ways are coming up all the time. A fellow member wanted photos to explain how I turned my hard-to-use, almost-giving-up extruder into a tool that is easy to use. Instead of just showing her photos, I thought I'd post a blog about it in case someone else might be interested. You need an extruder, a metal washer and a caulking gun. I didn't invent this, got it from a book and if anyone wants to know which book, just ask. I'll dig it up!
So, photo #1 shows the extruder with the end bit taken off and the metal washer found at any hardware store. Choose a washer big enough to fit in the end of your caulking gun.
 Photo #2 shows the washer in place before your put the end bit back on. By now, you have chosen the shape die at the end of the extruder.
 Photo #3 shows where to put the washer, it fits in the end of the caulking gun.
 Photo # 4 shows the plunger of the caulking gun pushing against the plunger of the extruder tool.
 Photo # 5 shows the whole thing, the extruder tool and the caulking gun pushed all the way up against the plunger of the extruder. Had I thought to put clay in the extruder you would see the clay coming out of the end of the extruder.
So, I hope you understand my instructions, this is my first tutorial ever, so feel free to ask any clarifications on points I might have forgotten. This easy transformation saved my hands and wrists and was the difference between using an extruder or not!

4 comments:

  1. What a great idea! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great for a first tutorial. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete